The Final 10 in the Race for Number 1011 June 2019 - by Matthew Jackson
The final 10 MPs running for the Conservative Party Leadership, and ultimately the keys to Number 10, have been announced.
Following Theresa May’s announcement that she would be stepping down as Party Leader and Prime Minister, the names to replace her came in thick and fast. With initially 12 seeking to take on the top job in UK politics, this has been reduced slightly to 10, who have all secured the requisite support from at least 8 MPs, before the 5pm deadline on 10th June.
Those vying for the job are:
- Environment Secretary Michael Gove
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock
- Former Chief Whip Mark Harper
- Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt
- Home Secretary Sajid Javid
- Former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson
- Former Leader of the House Andrea Leadsom
- Former Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey
- Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab
- International Development Secretary Rory Stewart
The next key date in the contest is Thursday 13th June, when the first ballot will be held. Those seeking to become the new leader will need at least 17 votes, with the candidate with the lowest number of votes eliminated.
This process will continue until they are whittled down to the final two, who will go before the wider Conservative Party membership. It is expected the new leader will be announced week commencing 22nd July.
A few questions to ponder for the days and weeks ahead:
- Will the early favourite make it to the final two?
- Will an outsider make it to the membership? Think David Cameron 2005.
- What does this mean for Brexit?
- Will the new leader call a General Election?
- Will we see an incoming leader reversing the BBC announcement?
- Will Boris’s plan to push up the 40% tax threshold to over £80,000 be a winner amongst the Tory faithful?
- Finally, what does it all mean for the ongoing talks process to restore the Assembly and Executive, and will we see a new Secretary of State appointed?
While not making any predictions at this stage, worth keeping an eye on Hunt and Javid.